WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for a highly driven individual to join our growing team in Eugene, OR. The technical manager works in concert with the project manager to guide software projects to success. Some days this will mean collaborating with engineers to make sure systems are being built well and nothing is falling through the cracks. Other days you will communicate complex technical suggestions or constraints to stakeholders and designers. Success in this role is measured by developers who feel fulfilled and empowered to succeed, by project stakeholders who are informed and in control, and by the smooth delivery of world class software products.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Serve as the voice of the developers. Understand the needs of each team (front end, back end, blockchain, devops, etc) and represent those needs to leadership, stakeholders, and to each other.
- Think through design documents, visionholder input, and other feature proposals with an eye for technical feasibility. Resolve corner cases and ambiguities through constructive debate. Solve problems before they happen.
- Work with PMs to task work and track progress toward milestones and product releases.
- “Be the hero.” Find problems and get them fixed through coordination, collaboration, and occasionally rolling up your sleeves and resolving things yourself when needed.
- Set a positive example. Share your wisdom and experience when team members need guidance or coaching. Foster a culture of humility, empowerment, and trust.
- Assist in recruiting. Review applications and conduct interviews with technical candidates.
- Hold routine 1-on-1 meetings with team members. Conduct annual performance reviews with team members.
- Author and maintain technical design documentation and diagrams.
- Outstanding communication skills. Able to earn the respect of programmers as well as managers and external partners.
- Ambition, eagerness to learn, a positive attitude, and the ability to work well in a team environment.
- At least 3 years experience leading developers.
- At least 2 years of hands-on senior level engineering experience in software, web development, or a related field.
- At least 1 project launched.
- Practical knowledge of systems architecture and the software development lifecycle.
- We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time.
- Experience with product design and human interface best practices.
- Knowledge of blockchain, distributed ledger technology, or distributed computing.
- Familiarity with the business side of the legal recreational cannabis industry.
- Professional game development experience.
- Experience leading remote or distributed teams.
- Skill with UI design software (Sketch, Figma, Omnigraffle, etc).
This is an on-site position as either a part-time or full-time contractor or employee in our Eugene, Oregon office. Eugene has a young, progressive college town culture and community with big-city tech industry. In the middle of a microbrew and food-truck renaissance, Eugene offers fantastic, affordable living for people who enjoy outdoor recreation and the arts year round.
This position provides a globally competitive base salary (DOE) and project bonus eligibility, as well as relocation assistance and healthcare benefits.
When applying, please include the position and location you’re applying for in your email subject line. Please also include a cover letter.
If this sounds like your jam, we'd love to talk.